The year 2021 marks forty four years since AAPRCO was founded in 1977. Our 2021 convention, which will be our 43rd annual convention, will be held at Burlington, Vermont. The dates are Wednesday September 29th thru Thursday September 30th.
Participating private cars will arrive and depart on AAPRCO’s American Autumn Explorer special train.
The Hilton Burlington Lake Champlain will be our convention hotel. In the near future we will have a link here to take you directly to reservations for AAPRCO’s block of rooms at the Hilton.
For cars leaving from Chicago for Albany on regular Amtrak service:
Friday, September 24th
– We depart on Amtrak’s Lake Shore Limited at 9:30 p.m. traveling overnight through Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
Saturday, September 25th
– We pass the historic Buffalo terminal during breakfast, continuing east through upstate New York.
– The Lake Shore Limited arrives in Albany-Rensselaer in the afternoon, giving passengers time to explore Albany, Capitol of the Empire State, while our special train is assembled and cars are serviced.
– We remain parked in Albany overnight.
For the 2021 American Autumn Explorer Special Train:
Sunday, September 26th
– We depart Albany-Rensselaer as an Amtrak special, traveling north along the Hudson River to Whitehall, New York. Proceeding east into Vermont, the train arrives in Rutland in the morning.
– At Rutland, we drop the Amtrak locomotives and head south as a Vermont Rail System special train. While on VRS, passengers may enjoy the crisp mountain air from open window vestibules or while seated on platforms.
– Get your cameras at the ready! Fall color is in full bloom as we journey south to the quaint town of North Bennington, Vermont. A photo run-by is scheduled at the historic 1880 Rutland Railroad Depot.
– We continue south to Hoosick Junction, New York; then reverse direction, and travel back to North Bennington, where we tie down overnight.
Monday, September 27th
– After a mid-morning departure, our special travels north through the picturesque Vermont countryside, passing Manchester and Rutland.
– As an additional routing feature this year, the locomotives run around the train at Rutland to proceed south on the Green Mountain Railroad.
– Arriving in Bellows Falls, we tie up for the night.
Tuesday, September 28th
– Departing Bellows Falls, we travel north through Rutland and arrive at Burlington, our convention destination, in the afternoon.
– Our special train parks within easy walking distance of our convention hotel and the shops and restaurants of charming downtown Burlington.
Wednesday, September 29th
– AAPRCO’s annual convention meetings and activities take place at the Burlington Hilton. Watch for convention registration to open later this summer on the association website at www.aaprco.com.
Thursday, September 30th
– Attendees are free to explore Burlington and surrounding attractions during the day.
– In the evening, we gather for a bon voyage cruise on the Ethan Allen Lake Champlain cruiser.
Friday, October 1st
– Departing Burlington in the morning, we pick up the Amtrak locomotives at Rutland and return to Albany-Rensselaer, New York, where the trip terminates.
– Cars depart on regularly scheduled Amtrak trains.
The special train and convention activities are reserved exclusively for AAPRCO members.
For information on cars with space available or to join AAPRCO,
please visit www.aaprco.com.
We will update this web page when more information is available.
NOTE: The convention is open only to members of AAPRCO, their family and their personal guests. However, a limited number of tickets for a guided tour of participating private cars may be available for sale to the public.
2021 Convention Committee Chairman
Last updated April 21, 2021